Saturday, June 03, 2006

A trip to Austin

Today, me and some girls from work spent a girls day out in Austin, about an hour drive from nowhere Killeen. It was a fabulous treat and it was wonderful to visit a real city with something to do. We ate mexican, went shopping, and took a trip to a camera store. Going to a large specialty camera store for me is comparable to a child going to FAO Schwarz in New York. I could spend thousands of dollars in that place. Someday, someday...

No morning sickness for me today and only 2 weeks until our first ultrasound. I'm getting truly anxious to see the baby and hear the heartbeat!

Yesterday on 20/20 (I think?!) I was watching a special on foster kids. There has been a recent movement by photographers and adoption agencies to provide children in the system the opportunity to do a photoshoot with professional photographers around the country. Then they put the photographs on display in galleries. Apparently after one project in Washington D.C., the rate in adoptions increased by nearly 200 percent after the photos were on display. Not only are more children being adopted, but the children get a special opportunity to share their story with people who really care about them and want to help them. I was recently approached through email by an adoption agency about participating in the program, but due to hectic schedule I completely forgot about it. Watching the show last night reminded me how much I would be honored to help these children. One of the photographers felt such a strong connection about one of the girls that she and her husband actually adopted the girl. It was such an inspiring story, it made me tear up. It may be the pregnancy, but I was touched. If you'd like to check out the Central Texas Chapter here's the address: http://www.heartgallerytexas.com/index.htm

No comments: